The International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP) is designed for pupils aged 3 to 12 and is one of four programmes offered by the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO).
The PYP focuses on the development of the whole child as an inquirer, both in the classroom and in the world outside. It is a framework guided by six transdisciplinary themes of global significance, explored using knowledge and skills derived from six subject areas, as well as transdisciplinary skills, with a powerful emphasis on inquiry.
The PYP is flexible enough to accommodate the demands of the National Curriculum as this is the curriculum that Horsmonden Primary Academy will follow. The PYP:
- Allows integrated development of cognitive and affective skills;
- Enables us to develop a curriculum appropriate to meet pupils’ learning needs;
- Develops autonomous and critical learners;
- Content is chosen by academies but is delivered within a concept-driven curriculum to bring coherence across subjects; and
- Assessment drives learning and teaching positively.
Horsmonden Primary Academy is a Candidate School* for the Primary Years Programme. This school is pursuing authorization as an IB World School. These are schools that share a common philosophy – a commitment to high quality, challenging, international education that Horsmonden Primary Academy believes is important for our students.
*Only schools authorized by the IB Organisation can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme, or the Career-related Programme (CP). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted. For further information about the IB and its programmes, visit www.ibo.org.