What a difference a week makes with the weather! This time last week we were all hoping the rain stayed away long enough for us to celebrate the coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla. Luckily it did, and the afternoon was a success, if a little cold by the end! The children performed their celebration songs/dances with enthusiasm and Max made an excellent compere. It was wonderful to see so many parents braving the weather to join us – thank you, it means so much to the children to see you there. For pictures of the event, please take a look at our Facebook page or website.
Summer Fete Preparations – starting next week please
For the Toy Stall: Please leave your donations of pre-loved toys and games in the school entrance hall. For games and jigsaws, please ensure that the contents are complete, and then please tape the box closed. For all items, please only donate items which are of good re-saleable quality which you would be happy for you or your child to purchase.
For the Bottle Tombola: The bottles can contain any drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic). Please also check that the bottles are within their best before date and have not been opened!
Friday 26th May: This will be a “no uniform” day for the children. Each child however is requested to bring in a jar filled with wrapped sweets and treats or an unopened sharer bag of sweets. If in a jar, please secure lids firmly and ensure that jars have not previously contained nuts, or anything strong smelling such as pickles (clean jam jars are good).
Each year, children in Year 6, Year 2 and Year 1 have their attainment measured and reported to the DfE. The assessments are carried out differently according to the year group and age of the children.
In Year 6, the tests are administered formally under strict conditions in May and cover reading, grammar, punctuation and spelling, arithmetic and maths reasoning. The papers are sent off and marked externally with the results coming back to schools in July.
In Year 2, the assessments are administered in small groups in May and cover reading and maths reasoning. The papers are marked in school and help to inform the teacher’s judgement about which children are at the expected level, which are below and which are working above. This information is then passed to the DfE.
In Year 1, children take the phonics screening check in June which is administered on a 1:1 basis with the teacher. Children are asked to read 40 words using their phonics, with some being real words and some being made up. This data is then passed to the DfE.
All data from the assessments will be communicated with parents in the End of Year Reports and passed onto your child’s next teacher.
Today is a non uniform day in exchange for donating money to our link school in Malawi. This was suggested by the Horsmonden Huddle (School Council) to raise money for soap, buckets and taps for Chapita Primary in Malawi. For anyone who still wishes to donate, MCAS will be open until Wednesday for donations between £1.00 and £10.00. So far we have raised £301 so we are well on our way to achieving £500 for the taps, buckets and soap. Thank you to everyone who has donated so far.
I hope you all have a lovely weekend!
Hayley Sharp | Principal
Key Dates for the Diary
- Saturday 20th May – FoHPS Race Night, 7:30pm @ Horsmonden Social Club
- Thursday 25th May, 3:20pm – Year 6 Parent Information Session – PGL
- Friday 26th May – Year 5 Physical Forces Day
- Friday 26th May – End of Term 5
- Monday 5th June – Start of Term 6
- Wednesday 7th June – Hotshotz Tennis Workshop
- Thursday 8th June – Open Morning drop in, 9am-11am
- Friday 9th-16th June – Year 6 Bikeability (first group)
- Saturday 10th June – FoHPS Summer Fair, 12pm-4pm
- Friday 16th June – Marvellous Males Afternoon, drop in 1:30pm-3:00pm
- Monday 19th-23rd June – Year 6 Residential – PGL
- Thursday 29th June – Year 5 Activity Day at Bewl Water
- Tuesday 4th July, 1:45pm & 5:30pm – Year 6 Production
- Wednesday 5th July – 9:15am – KS2 Sports Morning, 1pm – EYFS and KS1 Sports Afternoon
- Friday 7th July – LAT Primary Sports Day – selected Y5 and Y6 children
- Tuesday 11th July – End of Year Reports to parents
- Wednesday 12th July – LAT Kwik Cricket Competition – selected children
- Wednesday 12th July – FoHPS End of Year Disco, 3:30pm-5:00pm
- Thursday 13th July, 3:30pm-5pm – Optional Parent Consultations to discuss reports
- Thursday 13th-14th July – Year 6 Bikeability (second group)
- Friday 21st July – End of Term 6