Year 6 Prefects
I would like to acknowledge the hard work, determination and finesse that our Year 6 Prefects have shown this week. Every lunchtime they have worked together on a shared presentation outlining their ideas for the school. It was well thought out, informative and fun. During the assembly this morning, they made their speech, and even though they were nervous, they looked confident, spoke clearly and got everyone involved in a Jump Start Jonny Exercise Video. Even the teachers took part! Great job Year 6!
The children looked amazing today with their scary hair! I can see the effort parents have gone to this morning to support their children with their crazy ideas!
100% Attendance Awards
All 89 children with 100% attendance this term have received a certificate today to congratulate them for their efforts. I understand that we cannot help being ill from time to time which is why we will celebrate 100% attendance each term. If children were ill this term and didn’t receive a certificate, it will start again next term and they could win one next time.
On Friday 11th November at 11am, we will be walking to the Horsmonden War Memorial for our Remembrance Service. The service will be led by Reverend Tim ffrench. Parents are welcome to join us for the service.
On Monday 14th November children in KS2 will be walking to the Social Club to view the remembrance exhibition put on by the Horsmonden Nostalgia Society. The exhibition will feature a display relating to those that fell during the two world wars as well as maps, evacuee memories and other items relating to that period.
Moving from ParentPay to MyChildAtSchool
Further to previous communication, we are preparing to move away from Parent Pay to MyChildAtSchool for all payments.
MCAS (MyChildAtSchool) is a communication platform that links directly to our Management Information Software (Bromcom) and helps us to quickly send letters/reminders straight to parents via the app. It also allows parents to see their child’s attendance in real time, helping to keep track of attendance throughout the year.
Next term, we will move away from Parent Pay and use MCAS for everything including payments of trips, clubs, lunches etc. so it is important that all parents download the app ready for the change.
Using the MCAS app in full will mean parents have everything in one place, rather than having two separate systems for communication and payments. The fact that it links directly with our system also means parents can update contact details on the app making sure everything is always up to date.
Action needed from parents to ensure a smooth transition to MCAS:
- Download the MCAS App
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bromcom.mcas&hl=en_GB&gl=US – Android https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/mychildatschool/id1394575255 – Apple
- Please activate your MCAS account – remember to check junk/spam folders for your MCAS invitation email.
- Please clear any outstanding balances on Parent Pay
- ‘Pay as you go’ on Parent Pay to avoid lots of money being loaded onto it
We expect to make the transfer to MCAS shortly after the half term break in November.
The Christmas cards that the children designed are now back and will be sent home with them today. Parents wishing to order cards/gifts should do so online directly through Class Fundraising. All the information is on the card template. The deadline for orders has been extended by one day to Thursday 27th October due to them arriving late in school.
I have noticed recently that there are quite a lot of children arriving late for school. Everyone is late from time to time, but to be late regularly has a huge effect on a child’s learning. As a reminder, the school gates open at 8:40am and close at 8:50am. Anyone arriving after 8:50am should go through the main office and will be marked as late on the register.
Breakfast and After School Club
The younger children at After School Club and Breakfast Club love playing mums and dads with the babies. However, the babies are currently naked and are quite cold! I am kindly asking parents to donate any tiny baby clothes or dolls clothes that they no longer need so the children can keep the babies warm!
In addition to tiny baby clothes, we are looking for simple, short 2/3/4 player games that are complete.
Thank you for all the donations received last week, but we could still make use of more.
Children should be in school every day unless they are too ill, attendance is mandatory, as set out by the Department of Education. We have high expectations of behaviour, learning and attendance at Horsmonden and will use the full extent of our Attendance Policy to support this.
Parents should aim for 100% attendance for their children. When children are not in school regularly it not only affects their learning, but also their behaviour, routines and ability to make and retain friends. We often find that those children that have friendship issues are the same children who have poor attendance. There is also a direct correlation between attendance and attainment. Children have missed out on too much education over the last couple of years and I am asking for your support in ensuring your children are in school every day.
Attendance will continue to be monitored daily, which includes the involvement of other agencies and requesting penalty notices where necessary to ensure all children have the best possible chance of being successful at Horsmonden. Already this term, I have had to refer a couple of families for Penalty Notices and completed a home visit due to not being able to reach a family when their child was absent.
As always, if you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to find me at the gate in the morning or afternoon, or alternatively, make an appointment via the school office.
2022/23 Diary Dates
- Friday 21st October – End of Term 1
- Monday 7th November – Start of Term 2 for children
- Tuesday 8th November – Open Morning, drop in between 9:30am and 11:30am
- Wednesday 9th November – Year 6 Weekly Swimming Lessons resume
- Friday 11th November, 11am – Remembrance Service at the Horsmonden War Memorial
- Tuesday 15th November – Flu Vaccinations
- Tuesday 15th November – Parent Consultations, 3:30pm to 5:30pm
- Wednesday 16th November – Parent Consultations, 3:30pm to 5:30pm
- Friday 18th November – Children in Need
- Thursday 24th November – Profiles Photography (individual photos)
- Tuesday 29th November – Open Morning, drop in between 9:30am and 11:30am
- Friday 9th December – FoHPS Christmas Present Fair
- Tuesday 13th December – Year 6 Wreath Making Workshop
- Wednesday 14th December – Christmas Lunch
- Thursday 15th December, 2pm & 5pm – KS1 Nativity (Year 1 and Year 2)
- Friday 16th December, 2pm – EYFS Nativity
- Monday 19th December, 5:30pm (Provisional Date TBC) – KS2 Christmas Carol Service at St Margaret’s Church
- Tuesday 20th December – End of Term 2
- Wednesday 4th January – INSET Day for staff
- Thursday 5th January – Start of Term 3 for children
- Wednesday 8th February – FoHPS Valentines Disco, 3:20pm to 5pm
- Thursday 9th February – End of Term 3 for children
- Friday 10th February – INSET Day for staff
- Monday 20th February – Start of Term 4
- Friday 10th March – FoHPS Break the Rules Day
- Monday 13th March – Class Photos
- Friday 17th March – Fabulous Females Afternoon, drop in between 1:30pm and 3:00pm
- Friday 31st March – FoHPS Easter Egg Hunt
- Friday 31st March – End of Term 4
- Monday 17th April – INSET Day for staff
- Tuesday 18th April – Start of Term 5 for children
- Monday 1st May – Bank Holiday (school closed)
- Friday 26th May – End of Term 5
- Monday 5th June – Start of Term 6
- Friday 9th to 16th June – Year 6 Bikeability
- Saturday 10th June – FoHPS Summer Fair, 12pm to 4pm
- Friday 16th June – Marvellous Males Afternoon, drop in between 1:30pm and 3:00pm
- Monday 19th to 23rd June – Year 6 Residential – PGL
- Wednesday 12th July – FoHPS End of Year Disco, 3:30pm to 5:00pm
- Friday 21st July – End of Term 6