It’s that time of year again when we start to think about our Harvest celebrations. This year, our Harvest Assembly will be held on Thursday 6th October at 9am. The assembly will be led by Reverend Tim or Reverend Trish and parents are welcome to join us for the occasion.
As in previous years and in keeping with tradition, we are asking children to create small harvest boxes (shoe box size) filled with a few food items that will be distributed around the elderly residents of the village. There is no expectation for parents to donate huge quantities of food and for children to design large, elaborate boxes. We are all feeling the pinch due to the cost of living crisis so whatever you can afford will be appreciated.
The boxes should be brought into the school hall (not classrooms) no earlier than Wednesday 5th October. The boxes will be put on display to be viewed during the Harvest Assembly and prizes awarded for the best decorated box as done so by the children.
The boxes will be distributed on the afternoon of Thursday 6th October or Friday 7th October (class dependent). If you are able to support your child’s class with this, please liaise directly with your child’s class teacher for more details.
At Horsmonden, our home learning (homework) is set through Google Classroom. All children have a login for Google Classroom and have access to a virtual classroom that can be used both at school and at home. The only exception to this is in EYFS and Year 1 where phonics sheets are sent home in book bags.
Parent Coffee Morning
Parents are welcome to pop in on Monday for an informal chat and a coffee with me and Mr Alabi. This will give you an opportunity to ask questions, find out more about Horsmonden and share any ideas you have. This time we will be joined by Mrs Kerr, our new SENCo, giving you an opportunity to meet her properly.
FoHPS Committee Meeting
On Wednesday 28th September we will be holding our first FoHPS (PTA) meeting of the year. It will be straight after school and any parents who wish to attend are more than welcome to. By attending the meeting you will not be committing to anything, but will have the chance to share your ideas for fundraising events at the school.
Parent Partnership Afternoon
On Thursday 29th September I am warmly inviting parents to drop in for our Parent Partnership Afternoon between 1:30pm and 3:00pm. There is no need to book, just drop in between those times.
The aim of the afternoon is for you to meet your child’s class teacher, see their classroom environment and look through their work. It also gives you the opportunity to ask any questions you might have about the year ahead.
Our new aluminium framed glass doors will be installed over half term and be ready for children returning on Monday 7th November.
The work to the EYFS outdoor area is now almost complete. The wet pour flooring is finished and Miss Foord has started moving the equipment back. We are awaiting delivery of some new equipment to fully resource the area and are hopeful this will be delivered within the next couple of weeks.
The one-way route is now back in use which will ease congestion at the main entrance once again.
Breakfast and After School Club
The younger children at After School Club and Breakfast Club love playing mums and dads with the babies. However, the babies are currently naked and are quite cold! I am kindly asking parents to donate any tiny baby clothes or dolls clothes that they no longer need so the children can keep the babies warm!
In addition to tiny baby clothes, we are looking for simple, short 2/3/4 player games that are complete.
Children should be in school every day unless they are too ill, attendance is mandatory, as set out by the Department of Education. We have high expectations of behaviour, learning and attendance at Horsmonden and will use the full extent of our Attendance Policy to support this.
Parents should aim for 100% attendance for their children. When children are not in school regularly it not only affects their learning, but also their behaviour, routines and ability to make and retain friends. We often find that those children that have friendship issues are the same children who have poor attendance. There is also a direct correlation between attendance and attainment. Children have missed out on too much education over the last couple of years and I am asking for your support in ensuring your children are in school every day.
Attendance will continue to be monitored daily, which includes the involvement of other agencies and requesting penalty notices where necessary to ensure all children have the best possible chance of being successful at Horsmonden. Already this term, I have had to refer a couple of families for Penalty Notices and completed a home visit due to not being able to reach a family when their child was absent.
As always, if you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to find me at the gate in the morning or afternoon, or alternatively, make an appointment via the school office.
2022/23 Diary Dates
- Monday 26th November – Parent Coffee Morning, 8:45am to 9:45am
- Thursday 29th September – Parent Partnership Afternoon, drop in between 1:30pm to 3:00pm
- Wednesday 28th September – FoHPS Committee Meeting, 3:30pm to 4:30pm
- Thursday 6th October – Harvest Assembly, 9am
- Wednesday 19th October – FoHPS Bangers and Bingo
- Friday 21st October – End of Term 1
- Monday 7th November – Start of Term 2 for children
- Tuesday 8th November – Open Morning, drop in between 9:30am to 11:30am
- Tuesday 15th November – Flu Vaccinations
- Tuesday 15th November – Parent Consultations, 3:30pm to 5:30pm
- Wednesday 16th November – Parent Consultations, 3:30pm to 5:30pm
- Friday 18th November – Children in Need
- Thursday 24th November – Profiles Photography (individual photos)
- Tuesday 29th November – Open Morning, drop in between 9:30am to 11:30am
- Friday 9th December – FoHPS Christmas Present Fair
- Tuesday 20th December – End of Term 2
- Wednesday 4th January – INSET Day for staff
- Thursday 5th January – Start of Term 3 for children
- Wednesday 8th February – FoHPS Valentines Disco, 3:20pm to 5pm
- Thursday 9th February – End of Term 3 for children
- Friday 10th February – INSET Day for staff
- Monday 20th February – Start of Term 4
- Friday 10th March – FoHPS Break the Rules Day
- Monday 13th March – Class Photos
- Friday 17th March – Fabulous Females Afternoon, drop in between 1:30pm to 3:00pm
- Friday 31st March – FoHPS Easter Egg Hunt
- Friday 31st March – End of Term 4
- Monday 17th April – INSET Day for staff
- Tuesday 18th April – Start of Term 5 for children
- Monday 1st May – Bank Holiday (school closed)
- Friday 26th May – End of Term 5
- Monday 5th June – Start of Term 6
- Friday 9th to 16th June – Year 6 Bikeability
- Saturday 10th June – FoHPS Summer Fair, 12pm to 4pm
- Friday 16th June – Marvellous Males Afternoon, drop in between 1:30pm to 3:00pm
- Monday 19th to 23rd June – Year 6 Residential (PGL)
- Wednesday 12th July – FoHPS End of Year Disco, 3:30pm to 5:00pm
- Friday 21st July – End of Term 6