International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme
As mentioned in my last update to parents, our International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme journey is well underway. Since September 2020 all children at Horsmonden have been learning through inquiry rather than topics.
They all complete 3 lines of inquiry each term all connected to the Central Idea for that year group. By completing 3 lines of inquiry children start the term by learning the knowledge and skills needed from the National Curriculum before moving onto the second and third lines of inquiry where they can apply the skills and knowledge learned in the first inquiry.
Next term we will be visited by our PYP Consultant, Sarah Ford, who will begin our authorisation process towards becoming an IB World School. During the visit she will witness the children learning through inquiry and talk to staff, governors and parents.
If you are interested in becoming a part of this process please contact the school office to find out more.
Thank you to those of you that completed the parent survey sent out by the Trust. I am in the process of collating the results and reading your comments which are very positive on the whole.
One area that has come through as an area of improvement from parents is from the statement: The school lets me know how my child is doing.
The class newsletters that teachers send out each term inform you of the ‘Central Idea’ for the term as well as giving important announcements for the term ahead. This is followed up with an end of term newsletter that features comments from children about their learning. If you are not receiving these please inform the school office and we will check your email address has been recorded properly.
From listening to your feedback, I agree that we can do a better job of informing you about the subject specific content that your child will be learning within their Central Ideas. This is something that I will look at improving next term.
For those of you that are new to the school there are 3 ‘formal’ strategies in place for informing parents of their child’s progress: Parent Consultations in Terms 3 and 5, as well as end of year reports in Term 6. The next round of Parent Consultations will take place on Tuesday 29th and Wednesday 30th March from 3:30pm – 5:30pm and I am hoping they will take place in school.
‘Fabulous Females’ Afternoon
On Monday 28th March from 1:45pm your child will be able to invite a ‘Fabulous Female’ (close female relative or friend) into school to share their learning for the afternoon. The event will be similar to the Parent Partnership Afternoon in Term 2. ‘Fabulous Females’ can arrive anytime between 1:45pm and 3:00pm and drop in and out of classes to see multiple siblings within the family.
World Book Day
We will be celebrating World Book Day on Thursday 3rd March and children are welcome to dress up for the day as a book character if they wish. As always, I am sure that World Book Day will be a great fun filled day for those that wish to take part.
All that’s left for me to say is I hope you all have a wonderful half term and I look forward to seeing you back on Monday 21st February.
2021-22 Diary Dates
- Thursday 10th February – End of Term 3 for children
- Friday 11th February – INSET Day for teachers
- Monday 21st February – Start of Term 4
- Thursday 3rd March – World Book Day (Children can come dressed up as book characters if they wish to)
- Monday 14th March – Class Photos (Profiles Photography)
- Friday 18th March – Red Nose Day (Children can come dressed in red for a donation of £1 on ParentPay)
- Wednesday 23rd March – FoHPS Rescheduled Valentine’s Disco
- Monday 28th March, 1:45pm – Open Afternoon for Mums/Nans/Aunts to celebrate Mother’s Day
- Tuesday 29th March – Parent Consultations (3:30pm – 5:30pm)
- Wednesday 30th March – Parent Consultations (3:30pm – 5:30pm)
- Thursday 31st March – FoHPS Easter Egg Hunt
- Friday 1st April – End of Term 4
- Tuesday 19th April – Start of Term 5
- Friday 27th May – End of Term 5
- Monday 6th June – Start of Term 6
- Monday 13th to Friday 17th June – Year 6 Residential to Windmill Hill
- Thursday 14th July – FoHPS Summer Disco
- Friday 22nd July – End of Term 6