What a week we’ve had! It started with ‘The Rocket Man’ from Steam Co, Nick Corston. He inspired the children to create their own innovations and rockets, while reinforcing the importance of reading and aiming high in life. All children made and launched rockets, some more successfully than others, and enjoyed watching the final ‘dynamite’ rocket launch at 60mph before parachuting down into Olive’s garden for landing!
The Wonderdome, a mobile planetarium, arrived on Wednesday. Children travelled to space and saw the planets up close,learning about their orbit, rotation, moons, meteors and the International Space Station.
Thank you to all parents for supporting the week and helping children with their invention competition entries and costumes. I am very impressed with their creativity, enthusiasm and sense of fun! The winners were announced in assembly with a lucky few winning a voucher for Hobbycraft.
In order to fund this week, we asked for a donation of £8 per child and I am grateful to all parents who kindly donated. MCAS will still be open to accept donations until 10th October, giving parents who haven’t paid yet, time to contribute. Currently, there is a shortfall of £168 and I need to recover as much of this as possible.
As in previous years and in keeping with tradition, we are asking children to create small harvest boxes (shoe box size) filled with a few food items that will be distributed around the elderly residents of the village. There is no expectation for parents to donate huge quantities of food and for children to design large, elaborate boxes. We are all feeling the pinch due to the cost of living crisis, so whatever you can afford will be appreciated.
The boxes should be brought into the school hall (not classrooms) no earlier than Wednesday 11th October. They will then be sorted ready for distribution and will be allocated to classes based on numbers rather than who made them.
The boxes will be delivered on the afternoon of Thursday 12th October or Friday 13th October (class dependent). If you are able to support your child’s class with this, please liaise directly with your child’s class teacher for more details.
FoHPS (PTA) Movie Night
Please be advised that the date for Movie Night has changed to Friday 13th October, 3:20pm – 5:30pm. The movie being shown will be Hotel Transylvania which is a PG. Booking and payment should be done through MCAS only.
In the event that your child is off school for any reason, please inform the school office, ideally by phone. We have a duty to check on the whereabouts of all children that are absent from school, which will result in multiple phone calls and emails home, if we haven’t been informed or cannot get a response. If a child needs to attend an appointment during the school day, parents should notify the school office rather than the class teacher. This way, office staff have an overview of attendance and absence across the whole school and can update teachers as necessary.
Teaching Assistant Vacancies
I am currently recruiting for 2 Teaching Assistants to join our team, one part time and one full time. Please see this link for more details.
Take a look at our Facebook Page for regular information and updates, including photos.
As always, if you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to find me at the gate in the morning or afternoon, or alternatively, make an appointment via the school office.
Have a lovely weekend and enjoy the last of the weather.
2023-24 Diary Dates
- Wednesday 11th October – Harvest boxes to be brought in
- Friday 13th October – FoHPS Movie Night, 3:20pm to 5:30pm
- Tuesday 17th October – Open Morning, drop-in between 9:30am and 11:30am
- Friday 20th October, 9am – Year 5 Class Assembly
- Friday 20th October – End of Term 1
- Monday 6th November – Start of Term 2
- Wednesday 8th November – Open Morning, drop-in between 9:30am and 11:30am
- Wednesday 8th November – Parent Consultation Meetings, 3:30pm – 5:30pm
- Thursday 9th November – Parent Consultation Meetings, 3:30pm – 5:30pm
- Wednesday 15th to Friday 17th November – Year 5 Residential to Carroty Wood
- Tuesday 21st November – Trust Swimming Gala for selected Year 5/Year 6 children
- Thursday 23rd November – Art Exhibition
- Thursday 7th December – Flu Vaccinations, Year R to Year 6
- Friday 8th December – Christmas Coffee Morning, drop-in between 8:45am and 10am
- Tuesday 12th December, 2pm – EYFS Nativity
- Thursday 14th December, 2pm & 5pm – KS1 Nativity (Year 1 and Year 2)
- Friday 15th December – End of Term 2
- Tuesday 2nd January – INSET Day for Staff
- Wednesday 3rd January – Start of Term 3 for children
- Friday 9th February, 9am – Year 4 Class Assembly
- Friday 9th February – End of Term 3 for children
- Monday 19th February – Start of Term 4
- Thursday 7th March – World Book Day, children are welcome to dress up as book characters
- Friday 8th March – Fabulous Females Afternoon, drop in between 2:00pm-3:00pm
- Monday 11th March – Class Photos
- Tuesday 26th March – Parent Consultation Meetings, 3:30pm – 5:30pm
- Wednesday 27th March – Parent Consultation Meetings, 3:30pm – 5:30pm
- Thursday 28th March – End of Term 4
- Monday 15th April – Start of Term 5 for children
- Monday 6th May – Bank Holiday, school closed
- Monday 13th May – Year 6 SATs week
- Friday 24th May – End of Term 5
- Monday 3rd June – Start of Term 6
- Monday 10th to Wednesday 12th June – Year 6 Bikeability
- Friday 14th June – Marvellous Males Afternoon, drop-in between 2:00pm and 3:00pm
- Monday 17th to Friday 21st June – Year 6 Residential to PGL Windmill Hill
- Wednesday 10th July – LAT Cricket Festival, selected KS2 children
- Thursday 11th July – FoHPS Summer Disco, 3:30pm – 5:00pm
- Wednesday 17th July – Year 6 Production, 2pm and 5:30pm
- Friday 19th July, 2pm – Year 6 Leavers’ Assembly
- Friday 19th July – End of Term 6