Welcome back to school everyone! It is wonderful to be back in the building after two days of learning/teaching from home. I am so impressed with how quickly teachers adjusted their lessons to support children through Google Classroom while we were closed. The majority of children were able to consolidate past learning ready for their new learning to take place today. Thank you to all the parents who juggled work, home life and school work for the last two days. I did see the relief on many of your faces this morning when walking your children into school!
As previously advertised, Parent Consultation Meetings will be taking place next week – Tuesday 15th and Wednesday 16th November.
Consultations will take place in school and last 10 mins per child. Parents will have the opportunity to discuss their child’s learning, progress and areas for development. You will also be able to look through their Maths, Skills and Inquiry books.
To indicate which day and time period you prefer, please use the paper slip given to children to take home today and return to your child’s class teacher on Thursday 10th November or before the end of the school day on Friday 11th November. Teachers will be allocating appointments after school on Friday this week and sending appointment times home with children on Monday. Appointments will be organised on a first come first served basis depending on when the slips were returned. I had hoped to send the slips home on Monday, giving us all more notice, and I appreciate it’s now a quick turn around. One slip per child will need to be returned.
On Friday 11th November at 11am, we will be walking to the Horsmonden War Memorial for our Remembrance Service. The service will be led by Reverend Tim ffrench. Parents are welcome to join us for the service.
On Monday 14th November at 11am children in Years 5 and 6 will be walking to the Social Club to view the remembrance exhibition put on by the Horsmonden Nostalgia Society. The exhibition will feature a display relating to those that fell during the two world wars as well as maps, evacuee memories and other items relating to that period.
If you are able to help walk your child’s class to the War Memorial or the Social Club (Y5 and Y6 only) please contact your child’s class teacher.
Royal British Legion Merchandise – Poppy Appeal
Merchandise including snap bands, stickers, rubbers and rulers will be on sale after school every day this week and will be sold by children in Year 6. Our supplies are quite limited this year but all money raised will go towards the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal.
In support of National Anti-Bullying Week taking place next week, I am asking children and staff to join in and wear odd socks on Monday 14th November. The Anti-Bullying Alliance encourages everyone to express themselves, celebrate their individuality and what makes us all unique by wearing odd socks at the start of Anti-Bullying Week.
Children in Need
To raise money for Children in Need, I am inviting children to wear spots to school on Friday 18th November in exchange for a donation of £1. Year 6 children will be collecting donations on the way into school that morning.
MyChildAtSchool (ParentPay replacement)
It is imperative that all parents download the MCAS App before we are able to transfer fully from ParentPay to MCAS for lunch, club and trip payments.
Below is a reminder of how to do that:
- Download the MCAS App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bromcom.mcas&hl=en_GB&gl=US – Android https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/mychildatschool/id1394575255 – Apple
- Activate your MCAS account – remember to check junk/spam folders for your MCAS invitation email.
- Clear any outstanding balances on ParentPay
- ‘Pay as you go’ on ParentPay to avoid lots of money being loaded onto it
We will be making the transition soon and more details will follow about this next week.
Before half term there were quite a lot of children arriving late for school. Everyone is late from time to time, but to be late regularly has a huge effect on a child’s learning. As a reminder, the school gates open at 8:40am and close at 8:50am. Anyone arriving after 8:50am should go through the main office and will be marked as late on the register.
Breakfast and After School Club
The younger children at After School Club and Breakfast Club love playing mums and dads with the babies. However, the babies are currently naked and are quite cold! I am kindly asking parents to donate any tiny baby clothes or dolls clothes that they no longer need so the children can keep the babies warm!
In addition to tiny baby clothes, we are looking for simple, short 2/3/4 player games that are complete.
Thank you for all the donations received so far, but we could still make use of more.
Children should be in school every day unless they are too ill, attendance is mandatory, as set out by the Department of Education. We have high expectations of behaviour, learning and attendance at Horsmonden and will use the full extent of our Attendance Policy to support this.
Parents should aim for 100% attendance for their children. When children are not in school regularly it not only affects their learning, but also their behaviour, routines and ability to make and retain friends. We often find that those children that have friendship issues are the same children who have poor attendance. There is also a direct correlation between attendance and attainment. Children have missed out on too much education over the last couple of years and I am asking for your support in ensuring your children are in school every day.
Attendance will continue to be monitored daily, which includes the involvement of other agencies and requesting penalty notices where necessary to ensure all children have the best possible chance of being successful at Horsmonden.
As always, if you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to find me at the gate in the morning or afternoon, or alternatively, make an appointment via the school office.
2022-23 Diary Dates
- Monday 7th November – Start of Term 2 for children
- Tuesday 8th November – Open Morning, drop in between 9:30am and 11:30am
- Wednesday 9th November – Year 6 Weekly Swimming Lessons resume
- Friday 11th November, 11am – Remembrance Service at the Horsmonden War Memorial
- Monday 14th November – Wear odd socks to show support for Anti-Bullying Week
- Monday 14th November, 11am – Year 5 and 6 walk to Social Club to view War Exhibition
- Tuesday 15th November – Flu Vaccinations
- Tuesday 15th November – Parent Consultations, 3:30pm to 5:30pm
- Wednesday 16th November – Parent Consultations, 3:30pm to 5:30pm
- Friday 18th November – Children in Need – wear spotty clothes for a donation of £1
- Thursday 24th November – Profiles Photography (individual photos)
- Tuesday 29th November – Open Morning, drop in between 9:30am and 11:30am
- Friday 9th December – FoHPS Christmas Present Fair
- Tuesday 13th December – Year 6 Wreath Making Workshop
- Wednesday 14th December – Christmas Lunch
- Thursday 15th December, 2pm & 5pm – KS1 Nativity (Year 1 and Year 2)
- Friday 16th December, 2pm – EYFS Nativity
- Monday 19th December, 5:30pm – (Provisional Date TBC) – KS2 Christmas Carol Service at St Margaret’s Church
- Tuesday 20th December – End of Term 2
- Wednesday 4th January – INSET Day for staff
- Thursday 5th January – Start of Term 3 for children
- Wednesday 8th February – FoHPS Valentines Disco, 3:20pm to 5pm
- Thursday 9th February – End of Term 3 for children
- Friday 10th February – INSET Day for staff
- Monday 20th February – Start of Term 4
- Friday 10th March – FoHPS Break the Rules Day
- Monday 13th March – Class Photos
- Friday 17th March – Fabulous Females Afternoon, drop in between 1:30pm and 3:00pm
- Friday 31st March – FoHPS Easter Egg Hunt
- Friday 31st March – End of Term 4
- Monday 17th April – INSET Day for staff
- Tuesday 18th April – Start of Term 5 for children
- Monday 1st May – Bank Holiday (school closed)
- Monday 8th May – Bank Holiday (school closed)
- Friday 26th May – End of Term 5
- Monday 5th June – Start of Term 6
- Friday 9th to 16th June – Year 6 Bikeability
- Saturday 10th June – FoHPS Summer Fair, 12pm to 4pm
- Friday 16th June – Marvellous Males Afternoon, drop in between 1:30pm and 3:00pm
- Monday 19th to 23rd June – Year 6 Residential – PGL
- Wednesday 12th July – FoHPS End of Year Disco, 3:30pm to 5:00pm
- Friday 21st July – End of Term 6