Welcome back to the new school year! It was lovely to be greeted by so many happy faces this morning, both from children and parents. I also enjoyed welcoming all the new families to Horsmonden, a full intake of 30 in EYFS, as well as 6 new joiners in various year groups. We are continuing to grow and as such the investment continues from the Trust.
The summer projects are almost finished and below you will find an update on each one:
The allotment is now complete with 10 raised rectangular beds and 1 U-shaped teaching bed. The space is light, bright and spacious, and will be an ideal place for us to grow our produce. Each class will have at least one bed for planting with plenty of space available for members of our Gardening Club too. Guttering has been installed to the outside of the tunnel to collect rainwater which will run into 2 water butts, helping to keep everything hydrated. There are also 2 outdoor water taps to use in the summer months. I cannot wait to see this project bloom and am very much looking forward to our first harvest.
Our new, beautiful pond, designed by Camillia Taylor, from The Garden Taylor, is almost complete. It is only the planting that is left outstanding. Children will use the pond as part of our outdoor learning offer. This may include science related activities, sketching or mindfulness. It could also be used as a quiet space for the older children to enjoy at playtimes and lunchtimes.
Thank you to all the parents who volunteered on our Super Saturday and Sunday at the end of Term 6. I still cannot believe that the whole mound was relocated in 2 days!
Work began this week on the installation of our gym equipment and will be finished, complete with soft play flooring by the end of next week. The children are so excited to see the equipment and cannot wait to start using it.
Thank you to all the parents who have donated to FoHPS (PTA) over the past few years. Without your generosity, this would not have been possible.
Currently, the earth removed from the mound has been scattered around the perimeter of the field (our dragon). This is a work in progress and I am hoping to organise another Super Saturday soon to complete this part of the project. The earth ‘dragon’ will be compacted further, smoothed and sloped down, and seeded to create a small, grassy bank for children to sit against in the summer months. Mrs Bellingham has kindly offered to create a dragon’s head at one end to bring it to life. More details will follow regarding our plans for the dragon and the next Super Saturday.
I am delighted to share the news that Miss Foord is expecting her second child. Recruitment for a cover teacher starting in January is underway and more information will be shared in due course.
At Horsmonden, we have high expectations of behaviour, learning and attendance. Children should be in school every day unless they are too ill to attend. Requests for absence during term time cannot not be authorised and may result in a Penalty Notice being issued by KCC.
We will be resuming our termly 100% attendance and punctuality certificates this year and I look forward to issuing the first round of certificates at the end of this term.
Our range of school run curricular clubs will start again week beginning 11th September and below you will find out what’s on offer this term.
- STEM Club (open to all) – run by Miss Foord and Mrs Stockbridge
- Forest School (KS1 and KS2) – run by Mrs Radford and Mrs Turvey
- Art Club (KS1) – run by Mrs O’Malley (parent)
- Cricket Club (Year 2 and KS2) – run by Mrs Sharp
- Football Fivestar (EYFS and KS1) – run by Mr Bodle (parent)
- Choir (KS2) – run by Miss Fisk
- Boys Football Fivestar (KS2) – run by Mr Bodle (parent)
- Art Club (KS2) – run by Mrs O’Malley (parent)
- Netball (Year 2 and KS2) – run by Mrs Mcleish
- Dance Club (KS2) – run by Miss Card
- Gardening Club (KS1 and KS2) – run by Mrs Huby and Miss McCulloch
- Girls Football Fivestar (KS2) – run by Mr Bodle (parent)
Clubs cost £3.00 per session and must be paid for as a block, in advance through MCAS. Clubs will open for booking on MCAS at 8am on Wednesday 6th September and will close for bookings at 11am on Friday 8th September. Please ensure you book your child onto their chosen club during this time to avoid disappointment.
New parents will be able to set up their MCAS accounts before bookings open and more details will follow on this from the school office.
Breakfast and After School Club
Numbers for Breakfast and Afterschool Club are increasing gradually and children who attend are enjoying the new snacks on offer. As a reminder, please see below for session prices and timings.
Drop off time from 7:45am (Breakfast included),
£3.50 per session
Finish time of 5:30am (Snack provided)
Until 4:20pm – £3.00
From 4:20pm – 5:30pm – £3.50
Until 5:30pm – £6.50
Any new parents wishing to use this service should contact the school office until your MCAS account has been set up.
Horsmonden Primary Academy Facebook Page
For regular updates and pictures of children working at Horsmonden, please check our Facebook page. There are new posts every day during term time.
As always, if you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to find me at the gate in the morning or afternoon, or alternatively, make an appointment via the school office.
2023-24 Diary Dates
- Friday 1st September – Start of Term 1 for all children
- Thursday 7th September – Kent Test for registered Year 6 children
- Thursday 7th September, 3:30pm – Year 5 Residential Information Meeting
- Monday 11th September – Clubs start this week
- Monday 11th September – Individual School Photos
- Tuesday 12th September, 3:30pm – Year 6 Residential Information Evening
- Friday 15th September – Parent Coffee Morning, drop-in between 8:45 and 10am
- Friday 22nd September, 2:15pm – Parent Partnership Afternoon
- Monday 2nd October – Innovation Week, more details to follow
- Wednesday 4th October – Wonder Dome, Mobile Planetarium
- Thursday 12th October – FoHPS Movie Night 1
- Tuesday 17th October – Open Morning, drop-in between 9:30am and 11:30am
- Thursday 19th October – FoHPS Movie Night 2
- Friday 20th October, 9am – Year 5 Class Assembly
- Friday 20th October – End of Term 1
- Monday 6th November – Start of Term 2
- Wednesday 8th November – Parent Consultation Meetings, 3:30pm – 5:30pm
- Thursday 9th November – Open Morning, drop-in between 9:30am and 11:30am
- Thursday 9th November – Parent Consultation Meetings, 3:30pm – 5:30pm
- Wednesday 15th to Friday 17th November – Year 5 Residential to Carroty Wood
- Tuesday 21st November – Trust Swimming Gala for selected Year 5/Year 6 children
- Thursday 23rd November – Art Exhibition
- Thursday 7th December – Flu Vaccinations, Year R to Year 6
- Friday 8th December – Christmas Coffee Morning, drop-in between 8:45am and 10am
- Tuesday 12th December, 2pm – EYFS Nativity
- Thursday 14th December, 2pm & 5pm – KS1 Nativity (Year 1 and Year 2)
- Friday 15th December – End of Term 2
- Tuesday 2nd January – INSET Day for Staff
- Wednesday 3rd January – Start of Term 3 for children
- Friday 9th February, 9am – Year 4 Class Assembly
- Friday 9th February – End of Term 3 for children
- Monday 19th February – Start of Term 4
- Thursday 7th March – World Book Day, children are welcome to dress up as book characters
- Friday 8th March – Fabulous Females Afternoon, drop in between 2:00pm-3:00pm
- Monday 11th March – Class Photos
- Tuesday 26th March – Parent Consultation Meetings, 3:30pm – 5:30pm
- Wednesday 27th March – Parent Consultation Meetings, 3:30pm – 5:30pm
- Thursday 28th March – End of Term 4
- Monday 15th April – Start of Term 5 for children
- Monday 6th May – Bank Holiday, school closed
- Monday 13th May – Year 6 SATs week
- Friday 24th May – End of Term 5
- Monday 3rd June – Start of Term 6
- Monday 10th to Wednesday 12th June – Year 6 Bikeability
- Friday 14th June – Marvellous Males Afternoon, drop-in between 2:00pm and 3:00pm
- Monday 17th to Friday 21st June – Year 6 Residential to PGL Windmill Hill
- Wednesday 10th July – LAT Cricket Festival, selected KS2 children
- Thursday 11th July – FoHPS Summer Disco, 3:30pm – 5:00pm
- Wednesday 17th July – Year 6 Production, 2pm and 5:30pm
- Friday 19th July, 2pm – Year 6 Leavers’ Assembly
- Friday 19th July – End of Term 6